Sunday, July 7, 2013

L’dor Vador – cultivating a new generation of camp kids



For all generations we will tell of Your greatness and for all eternity proclaim Your holiness…Blessed are You Adonai, the holy God.

I remember as a young camper (at URJ Eisner Camp) learning to sing “L’dor Vador” – from the morning sanctification prayer that speaks of our obligation to shout praise for God. We often use these words as a catch phrase regarding our ongoing commitment to ensure Jewish continuity “from generation to generation.” We especially enjoyed a version written by Debbie Friedman,z”l, whose life story was so closely intertwined with OSRUI, where I am privileged to serve. At first, this lovely hymn was mostly a catchy way for us to learn a fairly difficult piece of Hebrew liturgy. As I grew through my teen years toward adulthood, the words began to challenge and enhance my appreciation of where I stand in the flow of the Jewish people – that is, what is my job in being part of the “chain of tradition.” And then, as a rabbi and teacher, and even more so as a parent, L’dor Vador took on new meaning: as I began to explore the richness of our tradition with adult congregants, I recognized that none of us are alone on this journey through the generations; while teaching students about Jewish life and living, I came to embrace my role as a mentor, role-model and guide; and of course as a parent, I have been able to see the fondest of my own hopes come to life through my children, as I have grown as a Jew and human being with them. I have been fortunate that my own son and daughter have found a home, a place to flourish surrounded by a loving community of peers here at camp.
Just today, I had the chance to give a tour of camp to a family with prospective camper children. Yet this was different than the several other camp visits I’ve guided. Sure, I shared the same enthusiasm about OSRUI and the power of Reform Jewish camping with them. Here’s the sweet thing: this was the family of my best friend from college. He and I met on our first day as freshmen, nearly 30 years ago. Though already age 18 at the time, we’ve truly “grown up” together. I officiated their wedding, they attended our son’s celebration of Bar Mitzvah, and so on…and today, I was able to share the joy and magic of camp with them and their two young daughters, who I hope will attend OSRUI in the future. What a complete pleasure to promote the wonderful experience of this camp not only with my dear old pal – but with his children as well. Unbelievable and priceless.
So now, as I intone the words of L’dor Vador, I am able to look back on the many episodes that have helped shape me. More so, I take note of the trust given to me to help shape the generation ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment