Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Happy birthday dear friend, for the 30th time!

Thirty years ago this week, I entered as a freshman at the American University. Following yet another summer as a camp counselor, I hopped in the car with mom and dad to drive from Boston to DC. I don’t remember much about the trip, except we stopped in Brooklyn to visit my grandmother who was in the hospital (and then dad showed me the location of the family bakery – building still intact – at Coney Island and O). We made our way to the nation’s capitol, and stayed overnight in nearby suburban Virginia. We spent time with my aunt Enid, visiting her son Tommy who lived and worked locally, and spent an eve celebrating her birthday at a French dinner-burlesque show (only slightly awkward for an eighteen year-old with his parents). Of course most important was finally moving onto campus, finding my way to my room in Letts Hall, the dorm – oops, I mean “residence hall” – that I would call home for my first three years at school.
Mixing and mingling with the other new and returning students, I was introduced to one fellow freshman whose friendship I cannot overemphasize to this day. Scott and I met as (myopic yet) wide-eyed newbies at the introductory meeting led by the RA on our floor. We hit it off right away, and now seem to have accomplished a great majority of life’s deeds together: from intramural soccer and softball and student activities to movie nights with Armand’s Pizza and pining over girls, and yes even successfully navigating our course work – I had a friend and partner through the ups and downs of college life. We’ve shared holidays and family time, both as young adult sons in our families of origin as well as being husbands and fathers ourselves. Scott schlepped to Minnesota for our wedding at the end of one very cold December; I had the privilege of officiating at his wedding another memorable weekend in Erie, PA. We’ve visited and shared, watched (and marveled) as we became parents, and our children continue to grow…
And yes, that week we met, also coincided with Scott’s birthday – which he’ll again celebrate this week. So we celebrate 30 years since first meeting that fateful day at AU – I wish you all the best now and always. Happy birthday Scotty – you’ll always be Senor Smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment