Friday, March 12, 2010

I hate to fly, but...


I just got home last night after a attending a wonderful convention (CCAR 2010, San Francisco). My travel was hampered on both the flight TO the event, and returning: I was certainly thrilled to spend an unwarranted 6 hour layover in Detroit en route to California. Thankfully, I was able to enjoy a nice lunch and read a fun (if preposterous) new book titled Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (I kid you not). And then, on the return trip, my short flight from CVG (as I was reminded by friends, the “Holy City” – likely due to Graeter’s and Skyline) to SBN was riddled with non-stop turbulence – like spending a half hour inside a milkshake machine.

Still, all in all, it was a terrific week, perhaps in spite of the lousy travel, and maybe even because of it. How so? We all know that sometimes (more like lots of the time) we have to endure challenges and difficulties in order to experience the enjoyable and meaningful stuff of life. Zillions of examples might come to mind: working hard to train for a favorite athletic event; the seemingly unrewarding practice in music, art, or whatever your activity of choice; and surely, how often we feel that we waste so much time in “unrelated” coursework when pursuing our educational goals.

At one of our sessions, we were taught of the importance (not merely the necessity) of all the regular, mundane, even challenging and distasteful things we do so that we can get to the more significant items on our agenda. In speaking with our entire gathering about the classic phrases “I-It” and “I-Thou”, Rabbi David Ellenson (passionate and articulate teacher, president of HUC-JIR) reminded us of Buber’s insight – that in all relationships, we tend to move from the first (“I-It” is when we view something/someone as an object, an “it”) toward the second (when we recognize people for their intrinsic and undeniable value, as a “someone”, or “Thou”). And of course, some things, like schedules and meetings, office supplies, utilities, etc.) by definition remain in the realm of “it”. It is necessary to handle all these seemingly trivial, unimportant matters with great care, efficiency and diligence, as this “low hanging fruit” is like a support system for the juicier, meaningful, important parts of our agenda – and that is, of course, dealing with people: spending time with our loved ones and friends, reminiscing about wonderful times, and creating new memories together.

This idea is very Jewish to me. As Rabbi Ellenson spoke, I could only think of the classic Rabbinic teaching eyn kemach, eyn torah – “without sustenance, there is no Torah.” Usually these words describe the balance between funding and what it provides – the teaching, education, programming and activities that a community conducts. Here, I see this phrase reminding us of the necessary relationship between the mundane and boring things I’ve described, and how they allow us to maintain our continued work cultivating the important relationships in our lives. It was another “aha” moment for me…

So, I do hate to fly – but it was totally worth it – for the learning I took away from our convention; for the time to catch up with colleagues and friends, old and new; and especially for the sacred chance to see a couple dear friends, totally unexpectedly, for far too long. In the end, a long delay and a bumpy ride can erase and mend 25 years. Can’t wait for my next flight…

No comments:

Post a Comment