Thursday, March 4, 2010

Looking forward, looking back - CCAR 2010

I’m starting to gear up to go to San Francisco for the annual convention of the Central Conference of American Rabbis (CCAR). One of my favorite yearly outings is this opportunity to spend several days with a range of my Reform rabbinical colleagues – updating one another on trends in Jewish life, engaging together in study with leading scholars, hearing from a variety of interesting and important public figures…and mostly, the wonderful (and too seldom) chance to catch up with long-time dear friends in person.

(I’ve been very fortunate that I’ve been able to attend this convention more years than not during my years in the rabbinate.)

And now – as I think of what to pack (heck – SF’s gotta be warmer than South Bend!), and take care of the many different things I need to finish up before leaving – I wonder as I always do: what will be the “feel” of the convention this year? In my experience, it’s usually been a very upbeat gathering – participants joining together for that periodically-needed “recharge” of their batteries – we all conduct very busy, sometimes exhausting, professional lives, and sometimes neglect our personal needs. Every CCAR has its flavor – due to what’s going on in the world, the Reform movement, and in popular culture. And this year will of course be no different, especially for our ongoing concern about the economy, health care, and the ever present tension between “tradition” and “change” that animates our conversations about nearly everything in life.

Right now, I’m not even certain who among my friends and colleagues will be attending (OK, I’ve heard from some). I’m looking forward to connecting with them – as well as meeting up with some new ones too. For my ordination classmates, it’s a somewhat of a kick in the pants, as we approach our 15th anniversary (sure, we celebrate the longevity of those who’ve been out in the field longer, even much longer; and now 15 years is nothing to take for granted).

For everyone going to SF – I hope your travel is easy, your airline connections smooth, and that we are blessed with a great experience – to laugh, learn, love and enjoy. N’siya tova – safe journeys!

2 comments: