Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere

OK - so I basically come from a liberal background that has fostered my support for a variety of "progressive" causes. As an educated contemporary Reform Jew, I am very much aware that this is a key piece of my identity and activity. To my own surprise, my positions and perspective on issues continues to become increasingly progressive. I find this quite interesting.
Now I have no problem with the idea that there are those who hold differing opinions from mine; as a matter of fact, that is of course what makes life interesting. What baffles me is the level of narrow-minded hatred that often emerges from within the right-wing spectrum (of any issue). As if to say "because YOU hold a different view, I have the right to demean your worth as a human being."
And more recently - at least in my experience - these vitriolic attacks are often propped up by unitelligible (in not outright unintelligent) arguments. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking to live in a world where everyone agrees with *me*. I would appreciate a greater level of respect and openness in civil discourse - in our society, in our political arena, and in our own communities as well. If we can cultivate an atmosphere in which people truly strive for understanding, while protecting and upholding the inherent dignity of those who with whom we disagree, or find different, or are relegated to being "other", we will go a long way toward fulfilling the obligation for tikkun olam - repairing the ills that face our world
I know this is not a new issue, and I'm certainly aware that there are no quick-fixes to such complex, emotionally charged matters. Yet I maintain the hope that in our own day, we will find ways to make this world better, and not worse, for our having been here.
Any great ideas? PLEASE feel encouraged to share.

2 comments:

  1. I think an important part of civil discourse is trying to understand where the "other side" is coming from and getting to the heart of the issue. Often, I've found, when people are speaking out of fear they aren't sure how to articulate exactly what it is they are afraid of or what it is they are really opposed to. In order to engage them in productive conversation I think it's necessary to figure out what is at the heart of their fear and concern and address that before addressing the issue at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already posted a comment about this, but it's not showing up, so I'm going to repeat myself. I apologize if you get both.
    Basically, I think that, in order to have productive civil discourse, both sides need to understand the underlying issues behind each others' stances. Often the "other side" on issues about human rights, justice, fairness, etc, express their opinions out of fear. In order to engage people in deep discussions about those kind of issues, it's necessary to first discover what it is people are afraid of and address those concerns before anything else.

    ReplyDelete