Thursday, August 16, 2012

New Year's resolution 5773: a pledge for Elul

This coming Shabbat coincides with Rosh Chodesh Elul - beginning the Hebrew month in which we "prepare" for the onset of the New Year. Yeah, like you can really just pick up and "get ready" for the Yamim Nora'im - the Days of Awe - if you haven't been in tune with the rhythm of Jewish time throughout the year (but that's a rant for another time).
So I'm thinking that this is as good a time as any to set my personal wheels in motion for this month of spiritual reflection and readying - that is, to make my own "Elul pledge." And here it is:
This summer has been a fantastic, dizzying, busy, hectic and over-scheduled time (not unlike most of the year). I have really slacked on my usual exercise habits. Not that I haven't been physically active, I'm just missing the benefits of daily trips to the gym and regular workouts with a trainer (and I can feel it). 
Over this coming month, as the Jewish world looks toward the Holy Days, as our children return to school, and as much of our programming kicks back into gear - my pledge is to enter the New Year in the best physical shape I can. For many of us, bodily exercise is a spiritual endeavor; for some, it is the most meaningful "ritual" or religious activity in which we engage. And as is proven over and over, healthy/active/fit bodies support emotional, spiritual, and physical health overall.
SO - as Elul is upon us - what's YOUR Elul pledge. Would love to know. And feel free to share #Elulpledge.

2 comments:

  1. I believe Goldstein's Gym has a Rosh Hashanah "Lose that Knish Fat" Special you can sign up for.

    My resolution is to let all of Erik Siroka's congregants know how he behaved in high school.

    ReplyDelete