Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Perplexing

Of all the strange, disturbing, fascinating incidents that have been part of this election season so far – the most telling one that I’ve witnessed took place last night. While listening to (and enjoying) the returns from yesterday’s New York primary, I was taking care of a few errands as well, popping into a certain store to pick up a few needed things. Approaching checkout, the young (high school kid? Millennial? College student? Not sure) cashier said to me, “how’s your day goin’?” I responded, “Great, and getting better!” “Wow,” he replied, “I like to hear that. Why?”
“Well, have you heard the news outta New York?”
“Um, what’s going on there?” the cashier asked.
“Well, Secretary Clinton has delivered a whopping victory today.”
With a truly blank stare on his face, the young man said, almost pleadingly, “Uh, I don’t know what that means.”
Wow, I thought to myself. “Today’s the New York state primary, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has defeated Senator Bernie Sanders, something like 60 to 40.” I caught myself as my words became slower and more deliberate. No insult intended.
“Um, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?”
“Well, it depends on your position – but I think it’s a great thing.”
“I’m not too into all that politics stuff…I don’t want to get too stressed.”
It wasn’t that he didn’t care that bothered me; it was that he seemed truly clueless that any of it was going on.
“Well, you should care, it’s important stuff.”
“Well, I dunno…maybe someday.”
I finished, walking out the door, big smile on my face, gently urging, “Well, you really should, it’s an obligation…no, actually it’s what makes this country great.”

Down the road, one day, I hope he gets bit by the political interest bug…I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment