Friday, April 22, 2016

Purple mountain majesty - the eternal Prince

Not sure what I can add to the onslaught of beautiful tributes that have flooded the media since news of Prince’s death broke yesterday. Yet a few powerful memories urge me to write them out…
I recall vividly being in my cabin at camp, listening to Little Red Corvette over and over with bunkmate Pete A. (who I’ve totally lost touch with). He said to me, “Eric, wait, this guy’s gonna be bigger than anyone.” Pete didn’t know how right he was…
Years later, visiting Minneapolis for the first time, DJS showed me around like a tourist. When we passed by First Avenue, she simply stated, “you know what that is?” “What?” “That’s where it all began…”
Who knows, perhaps it’s Prince who helped inspire my love for wearing purple – shirts, ties, my Chuck Taylors, and some even know that I once had a purple zoot suit. 
One friend summed it up completely: “He was high school’s entire soundtrack.” And so much more. From childhood through adolescence, high school to college, and way beyond into our adult years – Prince remained an ever-evolving, always intriguing version of his particular self. His talent is incomparable, his influence unparalleled, and his legacy (yet to unfold) interminable.
 

Long live His Purple Majesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment