Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Spark plugs & the mechanics of democracy


When I was about 15 years old, before I was allowed to start learning to drive, my dad insisted I learn certain fundamental mechanics of car maintenance and care. Prior to me ever sitting behind the wheel, he taught me to change a tire, change the oil, replace spark plugs, check/refill brake fluid, antifreeze & windshield washer, beyond simply knowing how to pump gas (this was true for my siblings as well). At first I thought, “why do I have to know how to do this stuff?” Over the weeks of practicing driving, and years on the road, it’s become always more apparent that if the driver doesn’t know how the parts work, and have an appreciation for the system as a whole, I’d never become the safe – or best – driver I should be.


*****
The same holds true, or should, in our political arena. From career politicians to idealistic hopefuls, from part-time dabblers to overzealous business moguls, too many of those who run for public office seem to have precious little grasp of American history, governmental process, and the basic mechanics of democracy.
It be powerful, and yes perhaps transformative, if before people register as a candidates for office, there was a demand that they have a working understanding of the system. I guarantee this would make for better suited contenders, elevated dialogue, and stronger, more effective governance. The following is a list of ten volumes that I suggest might be a good place to start, offered alphabetically by author.
 
Sara Bullard, Free at Last: A History of the Civil Rights Movement and Those Who Died in the Struggle
Joseph Ellis, Founding Brothers
Eric Foner, Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution
Doris K. Goodwin, Team of Rivals
Allen Guelzo, Gettysburg: the Last Invasion
Pauline Maier, American Scripture
Robert Putnam/David Campbell, American Grace
William Rehnquist, The Supreme Court
Gordon Wood, The Idea of America
Howard Zinn, A People’s History of the United States

Of course this doesn’t even begin to scrape the surface of the vast amount of important, inspiring, instructive material to be explored. These few truly came off the top of my head. Yet wouldn’t it be something if we knew that political aspirants had *some* general knowledge of what they were talking about, *before* they did so?

What items would you add to the list? This could be a very interesting conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment