Tuesday, June 29, 2010

From fasting to Fast Times

According to the Hebrew calendar, today is 17 Tamuz 5770 - the date commemorating the breach of Jerusalem's walls three weeks prior to the destruction of the city on Tisha B'av (9 Av). Since the year 70 c.e. (and especially until the Shoah), this was the saddest event in Jewish history, marking the dispersion of the people from their homeland in Israel. Traditionally, this minor holiday has been a fast day, beginning the three week period of mourning leading up to the anniversary of Jerusalem's downfall. It would be observed by fasting and reciting passages lamenting the siege and fall of the city. There are also those who hold that this was the day that Moses broke the original set of tablets.
I look at today very differently, especially this year. On the secular calendar, it is June 29, 2010, twenty years to the day since I met Debra - making this the anniversary of the most significant day in my life. With two decades gone by (!) I can reflect and understand that my life was not only changed in meeting her - but also the journey of continued progress, challenge and blessing was begun then too. Like most of us, I don't express my appreciation enough (or always in the right way :) - yet this is clear - I am so much better for having met Deb, getting married, creating a family, and sharing the ups and downs of career, hobbies, fun and life with her. And, like most of us, I'm still working at becoming the best partner that I can be, and that she deserves. I am truly fortunate for the chance to keep at it.
So what's been most significant day(s) in your life - and how has it changed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment