Sunday, December 9, 2012

YEMEI HA-CHANUKAH, pt. II: *Season* of Lights

Last night, for the first eve of Hanukkah, I dutifully made a big batch of latkes (which, by the way, for a guy who doesn't really like them, I make really well). After dinner, I left my big, trusty cast iron pan on the stove, with the last remnants of the oil in which we fried the potatoes.
And of course, I forgot about the pan overnight. Following a busy Sunday, I finally got back to the kitchen after 4 p.m. today. "OOPS! Gotta clean the pan!" With a little hot water and a quick wiping out, my beloved cast iron monster is in better condition than ever. Yes, these items are actually quite easy to maintain for a life-time of use. Yet (nes gadol hayah po) perhaps another miracle of Hanukkah oil occurred right here.
So - you ever need to season (or re-season) a good ol' cooking implement? Easy - just make some latkes.
CHAG SAMEYACH!

No comments:

Post a Comment